This is the ULTIMATE jam recipe! It takes less than 20 minutes to make, is free of refined sugar, loaded with healthy fats from the chia seeds, and is the perfect texture! I add warming spices to it when I make it in the fall/ winter months to give it more of a seasonal flare.
This recipe is sponsored by B.C. Blueberries to help encourage the use of LOCAL frozen berries especially in winter months!
Ingredients for the Jam
– 2 cups FROZEN B.C. Blueberries
– 2 Tbsp. chia seeds
– ½ Tbsp. lemon juice
– 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
– ½ tsp. vanilla extract
– ¼ tsp. cinnamon
– 1/8 tsp. cardamom
– 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
Instructions for the Jam
– Place frozen B.C. blueberries into a pan on the stove top at medium heat.
– Allow berries to cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently
– Add chia seeds and lemon juice to the blueberry pan, continuing to stir
– As soon as the mixture comes to a bubble, reduce heat to low
– Stir in the maple syrup, vanilla, and spices. Allow mixture to simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. The liquid should be reduced and the mixture should be well incorporated.
– Allow to cool for 15 minutes
– Pour cooled blueberry mixture into a blender and blend on low for 1 minute. You want the chia seeds to be blended up, and the jam to be a thick homogenous texture.
– Pour into a glass mason jar and seal with a lid.
– Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Any longer you should freeze it.
Ingredients for Yam Toasts
– 2-3 medium sized yams
– 1 Tbsp. oil of choice (coconut or avocado)
– Tahina (Tahina is a more liquid form of Tahini. Tahini would also work but might not be as drizzle-able)
– 1 Tbsp. hemp hearts
– Pinch of cinnamon
– Dash of Sea Salt
Instructions for Yam Toasts
-Preheat oven to 350F
– Cut yams lengthwise into thin slices
– Place flat on a cookie tray (ensure none of them overlap)
– Poke a few holes in each of the slices with a fork
– Drizzle with oil (you can pre-melt coconut oil if using) and a few tiny splashes of water
– Place in oven
– Bake for 30-40 minutes, flipping at the 18 minute mark
– When finished baking (should be fork tender), place on a plate
– Assemble by: Spreading jam jam on top, drizzling with tahini, sprinkling with hemp hearts and sea salt, and then adding a pinch of cinnamon
Enjoy for a breakfast, lunch, snack, or even a light sweet dinner 🙂