Have you ever heard that all health begins in the gut? For the most part this really is true! This is because SO much goes on here! In fact, the gut microbiome contains trillions of microorganisms (1)! These microorganisms go on to influence who we are as human beings by helping to dictate ones weight & metabolism, immunity, digestion, skin health, mood, and so much more!
In this article, we are going over 6 signs that would indicate you might be struggling with poor gut health! It’s important to note that sometimes it isn’t so obvious to relate a health condition you might be experiencing to your gut. However, most often, you really can relate it back to this epicentre of regulation within your body! More specifically than just “poor gut health”, it’s actually a lack of diversity of different microorganisms within your gut that can cause health issues to manifest. I like to remind people that when we are speaking of gut health, we are most often speaking about “gut diversity.”
6 Signs you Might be Struggling with Poor Gut Health
- You feel bloated after most meals: no this is not normal, nor should you have to go through life feeling chronically uncomfortable after everything you eat. When you’re always bloated after your meals, it indicates you do not have enough of the healthy bacteria within your gut microbiome to digest & absorb what you need from your food, and eliminate what you don’t need.
- You have irregular bowl movements: whether it be constipation, diarrhea, loose stools, undigested food in your stools, blood in your stools, pain with trying to pass, or a lack of consistency with the time you go – these are all very tell tale signs that you are struggling with poor gut health.
- You have a long (and growing) list of foods that upset your stomach: having a super long list of foods that make you feel sick, is definitely not “normal” when it comes to gut health. Especially when these foods are healthy things like beans/ legumes, cruciferous veggies, ancient grains (spelt, millet, buckwheat, oats, rye, etc.), nuts/ seeds, fermented foods, fruit, etc. If your body has trouble digesting a lot of foods (especially when they’re healthy whole foods), it’s a huge indication that your gut needs some support! As humans, we should absolutely be able to enjoy all the bounty the earth offers us! It’s also interesting to know that most allergies are another huge indication of poor gut health, and a lot of them can be reversed when you give your gut the right amount of love!
- You feel “off” or exhausted a lot of the time: if your constantly feeling tired or “uncentered” the majority of the time, one reason could be that you don’t have the necessary bacteria within your gut microbiome to carry out all the important functions it needs to. This means your body has to use all its extra energy to help try and carry out these processes (such as digestion or immune regulation). Not only this, healthy bacteria literally dictate who we are on a cellular level. If your body does not have the diversity it needs, you will likely feel “off” or “ungrounded” until you restore your microbiome.
- You experience uncontrollable sugar or carb cravings: this can indicate you have an imbalance of healthy bacteria or an overgrowth of certain ones that love feeding off of sugar (such as Candida). When sugar or carb cravings feel intense and uncontrollable, it’s likely the “over grown” microorganisms in your gut demanding to be fed. When you restore balance within your gut, this will no longer be an issue! Instead, you will be able to regulate your appetite, and enjoy a wide variety of fresh whole foods, without intense sugar, bread, or pasta cravings!
- You feel unexplainably anxious or depressed: this is such a MAJOR sign of poor gut health but is way too often over looked! 90% of serotonin (our “feel good” neurotransmitter) is produced in our gut! If you do not have the right balance of important bacteria to help synthesize serotonin, chances are you will struggle with anxiety and/or depression, until you restore your gut health.
Curious to know how you can improve your gut health in order to feel amazing and also help address any co-existing health conditions you’re experiencing? Be sure to check out my “Anxiety Reduction Protocol” – it’s the best way to work together in order live your best most healthy life!