These carrot muffins are pretty well everything you want in a muffin. They’re moist, light, fluffy, and hearty. I truly think they are the ultimate carrot muffin recipe. They are also dairy free and made with whole grain spelt flour.
-1 and a 1/2 cups spelt flour *(see below for a flour variation)
– 1 tsp. baking soda
– 2 tsp. baking powder
– 1 tsp. cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp. sea salt
– 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
– 1 mashed ripe banana (thawed from frozen works best)
– 3 large pasture raised eggs
– 1/3 Cup pure maple syrup
– 1/3 Cup raw cane sugar
– 2/3 Cup liquid oil of choice (I use melted coconut or avocado oil)
– 1 and a 1/2 cups grated carrots (to add at end)
– Optional: chopped dates or raisins
* For a flour variation if you’re not a huge fan of spelt, you can use 3/4 cup oat flour and 3/4 cup white flour. I haven’t tried any other subs yet.
-Preheat oven to 350o F
– Mix dry ingredients together in one bowl
– Mix the wet ingredients together in a blender, blending on medium low until incorporated (don’t over blend)
– Add the wet to dry and mix lightly with a spatula until incorporated (do not over mix)!
– Grate carrots (I use a cheese grater), then lightly towel dry to squeeze out additional moisture
– Fold in the grated carrots and raisins or dates if using
– Place in muffin tins and sprinkle tops with hemp hearts
– Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. When you remove from the oven, press a muffin lightly with your hand. It should just lightly bounce back towards you.