If you’re looking for the most delicious, easy to make tofu – this is your recipe!
Even if you’re not a huge tofu fan – this recipe very well might change your mind! In fact, for a lot of people, it’s not that they don’t like tofu, it’s just that they’ve never had it cooked in a delicious way!
This ‘Best & Easiest Marinated Tofu Recipe’ is essentially 4 ingredients, loaded with flavour, and so so versatile! It’s the perfect mix of spicy yet sweet – and pretty much a crowd pleaser to all (as mentioned – even to those who might not be the biggest tofu fans).
This recipe something I like to double to have on hand throughout the week – as you can use it in salads, wraps, sandwiches, and stir fry’s.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!
– 200g firm tofu
– 2 Tbsp. Tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
– 1 Tbsp. Maple syrup (or less if you prefer spice to be the more dominant flavour)
– 2 tsp. chili garlic sauce (I use the one from Huy Fong Foods). See here.
– 1 tsp. brown rice vinegar
– 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
– Chop tofu into desired shape. I typically will do in lengthwise pieces or in cubes
– In a small jar or bowl, combine the Tamari, maple syrup, chili garlic sauce, and vinegar, and mix until well combined
– Place the tofu in a medium sized bowl and pour the marinade over top
– Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes, stirring a few times to ensure all pieces are evenly marinating
– Next, heat a cast iron pan with a generous drizzle of oil
– Pour all contents of the bowl into the pan (including the remaining marinade)
– Allow to cook on medium high heat until the tofu starts to look golden, flipping half way through. The cooking time depends on the heat of your grill – but I find it typically takes 5-8 minutes only. The beauty of tofu is that you will not get sick from eating it ‘under cooked’ – so cook to your liking 🙂
– You will notice the sauce start to thicken (kind of caramelizing) over time as it cooks which is when you’ll know it’s close to being ready (NOTE: it makes the pan a tad messy but is so worth it!)
– Once finished cooking to your liking, remove from heat, place in a serving bowl, and top with fresh cilantro
NOTE: this tofu is great to make for meal prep for the week, to eat aside some rice and other veg, or to use in wraps.