These are one of the most un-real snacks ever! They’re gluten free, vegan, and refined sugar free. The sweet potato and sunflower seed butter make them moist, the oats make them nice and hearty, while the chocolate chunks make them a touch sweet. They seriously make for such a great snack or even breakfast. I especially enjoy them in the fall and winter months when sweet potatoes are in season.
– 1 and a 1/2 cups whole oats ground into a flour
– 1 cup mashed orange sweet potato/ yam
– 1/2 cup sunflower seed butter (or any nut/ seed butter you have on hand)
– 2 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
– 1 Tbsp. chia seeds soaked in 3 Tbsp. water for 10 min
– 1 tsp. baking powder
– 1 tsp. baking soda
– 1/3 cup maple syrup
– 1 tsp. cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp. sea salt
– 1/2 tsp nutmeg
– 1/3 cup dairy free chocolate chips
– Preheat oven to 350o F
– Place oats in a blender until you reach a flour like consistency
– Place them in a large bowl followed by the baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, sea salt, and nutmeg.
– Place mashed yam, sunflower seed butter, soaked chia, maple syrup, and coconut oil in a blender or Vitamix.
– Mix until you reach a smooth consistency
– Add to dry ingredients and mix until combined
– Fold in chocolate chips
– Place in a 8 x 8 pan and bake for 20 minutes
– Remove from oven and let cool before cutting.
TIP: In order to ensure the bars have completely cooled I like to pop them in the freezer for 20-30 minutes after I remove them from the oven. I find them much easier to cut this way!