These are the ultimate summer cookie! Loaded with local goodness and the perfect way to make use of your summer berries. Feel free to mix up the fruit you use in the jam depending what’s in season. I love using blackberries because we have SO many available for wild picking here in the PNW.
These cookies contain local oats, and sunflower seeds which make the “flour” of the cookie meaning they are completely gluten free and loaded with healthy fats & fibre 🙂 I like to mix up the fat medium I use in them – either a vegan butter, a grass fed goat butter, or coconut oil. Choose what suits you best 🙂
– 2.5 cups oats ground into a fine flour
– 1 cup sunflower seeds
– 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
– 1 tsp. baking powder
– pinch of sea salt
– 1/3 cup maple syrup
– 1/3 cup raw cane sugar
– 1/2 cup softened coconut oil, vegan butter, or goat butter (be sure it’s just softened not completely melted!)
– 2 Tbsp. flax egg soaked in 4 Tbsp. water for 5 minutes
– Preheat oven to 325°F convection (or 350 bake)
-Place oats in a blender and grind until you reach a fine flour like consistency. Then place in a large mixing bowl
– Place sunflower seeds in a blender and grind until you reach fine flour like consistency (similar to the oats). Then place in mixing bowl with oats
– Add all other dry ingredients and stir until well combined
– In a separate bowl let flax and water soak for 5 minutes. Then add the softened butter, sugar, and maple syrup. Stir until well combined
– Add wet to dry and mix until well incorporated
– Roll cookies into balls and then place on a cookie tray. I make approximately 15 cookies per recipe. Press your thumb into centre of each dough ball to create a “thumbprint” impression.
– Place thumbprints in oven and bake for 12 minutes
– While thumbprints are baking, make chia jam. I use this recipe: https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/10-minute-chia-seed-jam
– After 12 minutes, remove cookies and place jam into the thumbprints
– Place back into oven and bake for another 5-7 minutes (check after 6 to see how they are doing)
– Remove from tray and allow to cool before enjoying!