I’ve been on quite a roll with making bars lately, and have been loving all the different recipes I’ve been coming up with! These bars are the ultimate treat to satisfy your chocolate needs 🙂 They are rich, decadent, and the perfect touch sweet. They also happen to be super easy to make and only require 5 ingredients!! And the best part of all is that these bars have an option of swapping certain ingredients to help woman balance their hormones, depending on what phase of their cycle one is in! See the note below the ingredients list to understand how and why to do so!
These bars are refined sugar free, gluten free, dairy free, vegan, and grain free! Needless to say, I love keeping these on hand in the freezer and enjoying them for dessert after dinner.
– 1 cup medjool dates
– 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds OR sunflower seeds*
– 1/2 cup walnuts
– 3 Tbsp. cacao powder
– 1/2 cup peanut butter (all natural, no sugars added)
– A pinch of sea salt
– Toppings: Drizzle of peanut butter & sprinkle of hemp hearts
* For woman who are looking for support in balancing their hormones, choose to make them with pumpkin seeds for the first half of your cycle (day 1 of menstruation to day 14) and then choose to make and eat them with sunflower seeds from day 15- 28 (or until your bleeding begins). Read about seed cycling to understand more details on why this helps!
– Place sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds in a food processor and blend until your reach a fairly fine flour like consistency
– Next add the dates and continue to process until they begin to take a crumble like texture
– Now add all other ingredients and continue to process
– Once the mixture becomes completely homogenous and a fairly smooth texture, stop processing and begin shaping into bars with your hands
– To shape into bars I find it helpful to use a plate/ counter to press them onto. I make them approx. 1/2 and inch think, 1 inch wide, and 3 inches long. However, the shape you want to make them is totally up to you!
– Once formed into bars, place them on a plate (singly, not stacked), drizzle with peanut butter, and top with hemp hearts and then allow them to set in the freezer for approximately 45 minutes
– After they’ve set, remove from freezer, allow to defrost for a few minutes and then enjoy as you like 🙂 These need to be stored in the fridge if not consuming right away or the freezer if you keep them for any longer than 5 days