This blog post was sponsored by Eaton Hemp
Gah! These muffins are so delicious and just about everything you could ask for and more in a muffin! They’re fully gluten free, dairy free, and lower in sugar than your average muffin!
Not only all that, but these muffins also contain the *not so secret* super food of: HEMP HEARTS! For those of you who are unfamiliar with hemp hearts, let me share a little bit about why they are one of my most favourite super foods:
Hemp Hearts Are SO Amazing Because:
- They’re the only vegan food that contains the same ratio of Omega 6’s to Omega 3’s as fish oil! Of which many health experts agree is the perfectly balanced ratio we should be aiming for in our diets!
- They’re loaded with protein – containing 10g of protein per 3.5 Tbsp. serving!
- They are packed with all sorts of important trace minerals including magnesium, calcium, zinc, and iron
- They’re loaded with fibre which helps to support a healthy gut and digestive system
- They can have an anti-inflammatory effect on the body
- They’re anti-oxidant rich from nutrients such as Vitamin E!
As you can see – hemp hearts are certainly something you want to add more of in your diet! I personally love how versatile they are; whether it be sprinkling them on top of salads, adding to smoothies – or like in this recipe, adding to baked goods like muffins!
So, Where to Find Hemp Hearts?
If there’s one important thing to note about buying hemp hearts it’s that you should do your best to always look for organic ones! There are many reasons as to why this is the case, however one important reason being that the hemp plant is a phyto-remidator. This means it absorbs from the soil the good stuff (like nutrients) and the not so good stuff (like pesticides, man made chemicals, toxins, etc.).
This is why I recommend buying Eaton Hemp Hearts! Eaton hemp hearts are USDA organic, and grown on farms who ensure the highest quality of agricultural practices! You can truly notice their top notch quality! If you’re wanting to give them a try – be sure to use the code ‘MEG20‘ to receive 20% off your order!
Okay so now that we’re all clear on why hemp hearts are so incredible – it’s time to get to the recipe for these Morning Glory Hemp Muffins!
– 2 cups whole rolled oats, ground into a flour
– 1/4 cup Eaton Hemp Hearts
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
– 1/4 tsp Sea salt
– 2 large pasture raised eggs
– 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce (or 1 large ripe mashed banana)
– 1/3 cup olive oil
– 1/4 cup maple syrup
– 1/3 cup raw cane or coconut sugar
– 1/2 of a heaping cup shredded carrots (approx. 1 very large carrot or 2 medium sized ones)
– 1/2 cup raisins
– Additional mix in’s you desire: I usually just do the carrots & raisins but you could also add dates, chopped apple, dried apricots, walnuts, etc.
– Additional hemp hearts for topping
– Pre-heat oven to 330°F (convection)
– Place oats into a blender or vitamix and blend until you reach a fine flour like consistency (you shouldn’t see any large oat flakes left, it should really look like a flour!)
– Add oat flour to a large bowl, followed by all other dry ingredients. Mix until everything is well combined
– In a blender, or Vitamix, add all the wet ingredients; the bananas, olive oil, eggs, maple syrup, and sugar. Blend until smooth and creamy
– Add wet ingredients from the blender, into the dry bowl, and mix until just combined
– Grate your carrots (I use a cheese grater)
– Lightly fold in the carrots, raisins and any other mix ins you might be using
– Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins (there ends up being 11 muffins)
– Sprinkle muffin tops with additional hemp hearts – use Eaton Hemp Hearts (MEG20 for 20% off your order!)
– Bake for approx. 17-18 min (the time will depend on how big you made your muffins, and how hot your oven is
– You’ll know their finished when they no longer look wet on top, and when you touch the top, it lightly springs back to you