I can’t get enough of either this peanut sauce nor these Lotus Foods Forbidden Black Rice noodles! When I began my journey into healthier eating, I stopped eating noodle dishes like this for SO long. I didn’t think there were organic whole grain rice noodles that existed – until I found out about Lotus Foods! These noodles seriously changed my diet in the best way possible!
I now use these sorts of noodles in veggie bowls like this, my miso noodle soup, and my absolute favourite, rice paper veggie wraps.
The other thing that makes this dish so great is the peanut sauce. In all honesty, I think this recipe is the best ever 🙂 It’s so creamy, smooth, delicious – and contains SO FEW ingredients! You can double or triple the recipe to keep it on hand throughout the week. If you do so, I definitely recommend using a blender or magic bullet as opposed to hand mixing it all like the recipe below suggests.
Ingredients for the Peanut Sauce
– 1/3 cup peanut butter (I always use organic, smooth & salted)
– 1.5 Tbsp. Tamari (gluten free, organic soy sauce)
– 1 Tbsp. honey
– Juice of half a lemon (or 1 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar)
– 4 Tbsp. water (plus more for thinning)
Instructions for the Peanut Sauce
– Place peanut butter followed by all other ingredients into a jar. I like to use a 500mL mason jar
– Mix everything well until everything all ingredients are super incorporated
– If you notice your sauce is too thick, add more water!
– Taste test to ensure it’s to your desired taste/ texture. NOTE: the type of PB & honey you use can have a huge variation on this sauce, so don’t be afraid to add more or less of whatever you like.
– Stores well in the fridge in a glass mason jar with a lid for 5-7 days
Ingredients for the Bowl
Serving size: Approx. 2 ppl
– 1 Tbsp. oil for cooking
– 2 cups green cabbage
– 2 cups finely chopped kale (or other green of choice)
– 1-2 large yams, cut into shapes of your choice – I chose to do it more of a “fry style” in this dish
– 150g of tempeh
– 1 Tbsp. Tamari
– 140g of Lotus Foods Black Forbidden Rice Noodles
– Garnish: sesame seeds & radish (I used pickled radish)
Instructions for the Bowl
– Pre- heat oven to 350F
– Chop yams into shape of choice, place on a cookie tray, and coat with oil
– Place tray of yams into the oven and allow to cook until fork tender (approx. 30-35 minutes)
– In the mean time, heat a cast iron pan or wok on medium high heat with a splash of oil. Add the cabbage and sauté until it begin to soften (approx. 5-7 minutes). Add the kale and allow to sauté for just 1 minute to avoid it from getting wilt-y as the heat of the cabbage will help it to break down
– Remove cabbage & kale from the pan and set aside
– In the meantime, cook your Lotus Food Noodles according to package directions
– Chop smoked tempeh into cubes. Add to heated cast iron pan with an additional touch of more oil and the 1 Tbsp. of Tamari. Allow to cook for 5-6 minutes, or until lightly browned
– To assemble: add sautéed veggies to cooked noodles and mix together. Dish into serving bowls and drizzle with peanut sauce. Serve baked yams aside the bowls and sprinkle with sesame seeds and radish for garnish