The ultimate salad for this time of year (well really anytime)! It’s loaded with seasonal produce such as cabbage, apples, and carrots, has the perfect combination of sweet yet refreshing, and is made every bit hearty and nourishing from the kale, parsley, cabbage and quinoa!
For the Salad
– 1 cup quinoa (dried)
– 1 and 1/2 cups purple cabbage (finely chopped/ shredded)
– 2 large carrots cut into thin disks and then quarters
– 3 stalks kale, de-stemmed and finely chopped
– 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
– 1 apple, finely chopped into small bite size pieces (I like using Ambrosia for this dish)
– 4 figs (I like Black Mission variety), chopped into small bite size pieces. You can also use dried apricots, dates, or raisins if you prefer
– Garnish: 1 Tbsp. hemp hearts or sesame seeds
For the Dressing
– 1/3 cup olive oil
– Juice of 1 lemon (can also add the zest if you like it things tangy)
– 1 Tbsp. raw honey
– Optional: 1 clove of minced garlic (totally okay to leave out if you’re not huge-ly into garlic)
– Pinch of sea salt and pepper
– Cook the quinoa according to package directions. If there are no directions (because you bought in bulk), this is my favourite method to use: read about it here
– While the quinoa is cooking, chop all of your veggies, placing them into a large salad bowl after cutting. Save the figs for the end!
– Prepare the dressing in a mason jar and mix until well combined. Test taste to ensure it’s to you’re liking! Feel free to add more oil if it’s too zesty, more lemon if you like it more tangy, or more honey if you want it a touch sweeter!
– Once the quinoa has finished cooking, allow to cool for 15 minutes before adding to your large bowl of chopped veggies
– Mix quinoa throughout veggies
– Add the dressing (a few Tbsp. at a time), stopping once you reach your desired level. You will likely have dressing left over which can be used throughout the week in other salads/ veggie marinades
– Top this Daily Detox Quinoa salad with the chopped figs (or dried fruit of choice) and sprinkle with hemp hearts or sesame seeds
– ENJOY this incredibly fresh, detoxifying and delicious bowl!
NOTE: if you want to make this more of a meal as opposed to a side dish, feel free to add a protein of your choice such as; chickpeas, butter beans, tempeh, or grilled tofu.