I’m seriously LOVING beans/ legumes right now and chickpeas are at the top of my list in terms of favourites. These brownies are the perfect treat if you’re looking for something, hearty and nourishing, with a touch of chocolatey goodness. They’re oil free, refined sugar free, and gluten free. I haven’t tried making them vegan, but I’m sure you could substitute the egg for a chia or flax egg and have similarly amazing results as well.
– 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 baking soda
– 1/2 cup whole oats (to be ground into a flour)
– 1 cup chickpeas
– 1/4 cup nut or seed butter of choice (ensure the kind you use is somewhat oil-y such as almond or an oilier brand of peanut butter)
– 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
– 1/3 cup maple syrup
– 1 pasture raised large egg
– 1.5 tsp almond milk
– 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
– Preheat oven to 350°F bake or 325°F convection
– Blend oats in a blender until you reach a flour like consistency
– Add oats to a large bowl followed by all other dry ingredients
– Next, add your chickpeas to a blender of food processor. Give a light blend until they begin to break down
– Add all other wet ingredients to the blender and mix until everything is well broken down
– Add the wet ingredients from the blender to the dry bowl, folding until just combined
– Fold in the chocolate chips and the 1.5 tsp of almond milk
– Place batter into a prepared 9 x 5 loaf pan
– Bake in the oven for 17-19 minutes
– When you remove the brownies, the top should look cooked. When you insert a fork in the middle and then remove it, it should appear somewhat moist but not fully wet!
– Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes until cutting into them (it’s of course okay to try a tiny little bite before the 30 minutes is up though)!
Leave a Reply