These muffins are amazing. Not only are they a great way to use fresh zucchini and carrots, they are gluten free, dairy free lower in sugar than most muffins, and taste truly amazing! They’re great for breakfast, a mid morning snack, and if you add chocolate chips to them – they can make for a super healthy dessert.
– 1.5 cups oats ground into a flour
– 1 cup buckwheat flour
– 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
– 2 tsp. baking powder
– 1 tsp. baking soda
– 1/2 tsp. sea salt
– 2 Tbsp. hemp hearts (plus extra for sprinkling on tops)
– 1 super ripe banana
– 2 flax eggs (this = 2 Tbsp. ground flax seeds soaked in 4 Tbsp. water)
– 1 pasture raised egg (or 1 more flax egg to make it vegan)
– 1/3 cup liquid honey
– 1/3 cup raw cane sugar
– 1/2 tsp. vanilla
– 1/2 cup grated carrot
– 1/2 cup zucchini
– 1/3 cup softened coconut oil (not fully melted)
– 1/3 cup of any or all of the following: dried apricots, raisins, chopped dates, chocolate chips* See Note
– Pre-heat oven to 325°F convection (or 350°F regular Bake)
– Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl and stir
– In a small separate bowl, add 2 tbsp. of ground flax with 4 tbsp. of warm water. NOTE: if you want to make the recipe vegan, add an additional 1 Tbsp. ground flax with 2 more Tbsp. warm water. Stir and allow the flax and water to soak for 10 minutes
– In a blender or a bowl with an electric mixer, add the banana, honey, sugar, egg, flax eggs, and coconut oil. Lightly mix until well incorporated (do not over mix/ beat)
– Grate the carrot and zucchini with a cheese grater. Squeeze the grated carrot and zucchini with a towel to remove some of the excess moisture.
– Add the ingredients from the wet bowl into the dry bowl. Next add the grated and towel dried zucchini and carrot followed by your mix ins of choice
– Fold all ingredients in together with a spatula, being very careful to not over mix (this creates for rubbery muffins)! Mix until just combined.
– Prepare muffin tins, either using muffin papers or by coating with coconut oil and lightly dusting with buckwheat flour
– Place batter in muffin tins so they are 3/4 full. Sprinkle with additional hemp hearts
– Bake for 12-14 minutes. You will know they are done when you press the tops and they lightly spring back to you. Or try the “fork” test by placing your fork in a muffin to see if it comes out relatively clean (not battery)
– Allow to cool and enjoy!
*Note: if you are just choosing to do one of the mix in’s, I recommend adding 3/4 cups of it. For example, if you are only using dates, add 3/4 cup of them, but if you are using multiple mix ins, add in 1/3 cup quantities.