Ahh the classic raisin bran muffin! I truly love them! I created this recipe by “health-i-fy-ing” the classic recipe my mom uses which you can check out here. These muffins are hearty, delicious, sweet, and full of FIBRE! They are also dairy free and have an easy vegan sub.
For those of you who aren’t too familiar with the importance of fibre, I wanted to break down a few facts you might find interesting:
- Adult woman need 28g of fibre per day and adult men need 38g of fibre per day
- Getting adequate amounts of fibre helps to dramatically reduce ones risk of heart disease (helps to lower cholesterol), type 2 diabetes (helps to control blood sugars), and colorectal & breast cancer
- Fibre (especially soluble fibre) binds to toxins and then eliminates them (in form of a bowel movement) from your system. This helps your body to function optimally. It is especially important for helping to balance hormones – which not enough people know!
- Eating enough fibre keeps you “regular” and is the fuel that your colon cells need to keep healthy. Fibre also aids in keeping your bowel movements soft and regular
- Fibre keeps you full for longer, meaning you will feel more satiated between meals
The 2 Types of Fibre:
- Soluble Fibre: dissolves in water to form a gel-like material. It’s found in beans/ legumes, oats, peas, apples, citrus fruits, carrots, barley and psyllium
- Insoluble Fibre: promotes the movement of material through your digestive system and increases stool bulk. It’s found in whole grains, wheat bran, nuts, beans and most vegetables, and fruits
Now on to the recipe for these DELICIOUS Raisin Bran Muffins!
– 1 and 1/2 cups wheat bran
– 1 cup plant based milk
– 1 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
– 1/3 cup avocado oil
– 1 pasture raised egg OR a flax egg (1 Tbsp. ground flax seed soaked in 3 Tbsp. water)
– 2/3 cup raw cane sugar (can reduce to 1/2 cup)
– 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 cup unbleached white flour
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp sea salt
– 3/4 cup raisins
– Garnish: hemp hearts
– Preheat oven to 350F (convection)
– Pour plant based milk and apple cider vinegar into a large sized bowl and allow to sit for 10 minutes
– After the plant milk and ACV have sat, add the wheat bran and allow to sit for another 10 minutes
– In the mean time, beat together the oil, egg (or flax egg), sugar, and vanilla (I use an electric mixer or vitamix on lowest setting)
– Add this wet mixture to the wheat bran mixture and stir until well combined
– In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt until well combined
– Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet mixture until just combined (do not over mix this step)!
– Fold in the raisins
– Place into prepared muffin tins (I like to use muffin papers for these) and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. I like to sprinkle the tops with hemp hearts, although this step is not necessary!
– You will know they are finished when you insert a fork and they come out clean or your press the muffin tops and they lightly spring back to you.
– Allow to cool and ENJOY!