These cookies are exactly what you would imagine if a goey apple crumble took the form of a hearty and delicious cookie. They are melt in your mouth goodness and have amazing health benefits as they’re packed with Omega 3’s from the walnuts and flax seeds and no refined sugars. They make a perfect healthy treat for apple season!
– 1 cup walnuts
– 3 cups whole oats
– 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
– 1/4 cup flax seeds
– 1/2 tsp. baking powder
– 1/2 tsp. baking soda
– 1/3 cup softened coconut oil
– 1/3 cup maple syrup
– 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce (I like to make my own as it’s not difficult at all)
– 1/2 cup chopped apple
– 1/2 tsp of the following: cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, sea salt
– Optional: 1/4 cup raw cane sugar
-Blend top 4 ingredients (walnuts, oats, coconut and flax seeds) in your blender or Vitamix until you reach a flour like consistency.
– Once you have reached a flour like consistency, place in a large bowl. Add in baking powder, cinnamon, sea salt, nutmeg, and cardamom. Stir until well incorporated.
– Add in softened coconut oil, apple sauce, maple syrup, and sugar (if using) and continue to stir
– This dough is quite thick and sticky so it can be difficult to stir. If you want some help with stirring, mix with a hand mixer, food processor, or Vitamix to help ensure everything is well incorporated. NOTE: this is not necessary but I find it really helps. You can also place your dough in the fridge for 30 minutes before rolling into balls
– Fold in chopped apples
– Once finished mixing, roll dough into golf ball size pieces and place on cookie tray
– Lightly flatten by pressing dough balls with a fork or your hand
– Bake at 350°F for 8-9 minutes
– Let cool on tray for 5 minutes before removing
– These are best stored in freezer if you don’t eat them all in the first 2-3 days 🙂