This bowl makes for such a nice and nourishing breakfast. It’s great because it tastes so decadent but is made of the simplest ingredients and only takes mere minutes to make. It’s the perfect breakfast for when apples are in season! In terms of apple type, I usually just use whatever types I can forage from wild trees. Otherwise, I opt for Ambrosia, Fuji or Honey Crisp. As long as they’re local – you can’t go wrong.
Note: this recipe is for a single serving (adjust serving size depending on how many you are making it for)
– 1/2 cup whole rolled oats (not quick)
– 1 cup water
– Chopped local apple of choice (I use 1/2 the apple for the bowl and then eat the other half in slices on it’s own)
– 2 Tbsp. Raisins
– 1 Tbsp. Flax seeds (I used whole but ground are great for added health benefits)
– 1 Tbsp. Sunflower seeds
– Sprinkle of cinnamon (this is important as it adds such nice flavour AND is very blood sugar balancing)
– Drizzle of nut butter (I usually like almond with this combo but used PB in the photo as I was craving at the time)
– Optional: splash of almond milk
-Place oats and water in a small pan on stove top. Let cook on medium heat and until the water comes to a boil
– Once you reach a boil, turn stove on low and stir
– When you reach your desired consistency (depending on how thick/ runny you like your oats), remove from heat
– Place in a large bowl and add toppings of choice
– I like to add a splash of cold almond milk while I am eating mine but totally up to you!