This is the ultimate sandwich for gut health as it’s loaded with fermented goods! It has tempeh which is made of fermented soy beans, sauerkraut which is made of fermented cabbage, pickles which are made of fermented cucumbers, and mustard which can be made of fermented mustard seeds – all between 2 beautiful slices of naturally fermented bread.
If you know me well, you know that I am a huge fan of sourdough/ naturally leavened bread. It makes me so sad to know how many people think they can never eat gluten or bread because it’s “bad” for them. In reality, it is most often just the processing of the grain product (that contains gluten) which make people feel sick – not the gluten itself. In my opinion, sourdough/ naturally leavened bread is the ultimate bread you can eat for both taste and health benefits – and usually people feel no negative side effects from doing so. On the contrary, most people actually experience a lot of health benefits from eating it as it’s full of fibre, vitamins, minerals, and probiotics. The fermentation process makes the bread way easier to digest and naturally light and fluffy. Just be sure if you’re buying sourdough from the store it only contains water, whole grain flour, and sea salt – no yeast or sugar!
– 2 slices whole grain sourdough bread
– 5 thin slices of tempeh
– 2 dill pickles
– ½ an avocado
– 1 Tbsp. sauerkraut
– Very finely chopped purple cabbage
– Small squeeze of high quality mustard (dijon is my fave)
– Generous scoop of hummus
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Toast 2 sourdough slices in toaster
– Grill tempeh on stove top preferably in a cast iron pan with a little bit of high quality olive oil (this only needs 2-4 minutes per side on the grill)
– Make hummus or use a high quality store bought option
– Slice avocado in length size pieces
Now you can assemble on one slice of bread in this order:
– Salt and Pepper
– Lastly: Other slice of bread to top it all!